Online Accounting Program Led This Man To An Exciting New Career Opportunity – Find Out Why
Reading time 3 minutes
Michael Brewer is from Birmingham and is in the midst of an exciting new career change, and the UNA Master of Accountancy program is one of them. We spoke with him and Rebecca Hamm at University of Northern Alabama (UNA) for more information.
Meet Michael Brewer
The Birmingham native graduated from Oak Mountain High School, then went to the University of Alabama where he obtained a Bachelor of Science in Accounting in 2017.
Since then, Brewer has worked as a tax compliance auditor. Now, however, he is about to start a new career in financial analysis. In addition to seeking better financial opportunities, he was ready to grow personally and professionally by gaining new experiences in the field of accounting.
UNA’s Master of Accounting program helped him make the change
Currently, Brewer is at the third of the UNA’s Master of Accounting (MAcc) program. The fact that he was 100% remote was a big selling point.
“UNA had distance learning to be an art even before the pandemic.”
When he applied for his new job, his new employer was able to tell by being enrolled in the program that he had the skills they needed.
Find out more about the UNA Master of Accountancy program
To find out more about the program, I reached out to Rebecca Hamm, Senior Lecturer in Accounting and Graduate Accounting Advisor at UNA. Here is what she told me:
The UNA Master of Accounting Program: What is it?
- A fully distance-learning graduate program.
- A comprehensive suite of programs for students and professionals seeking in-depth accounting knowledge and skills development.
What students get
- 30 hours of educational credits required by state boards to pass the Certified Public Accountant exam.
- Courses in accounting areas such as taxation, auditing, fraud detection, IT and ethics.
- The UNA MBA Program Synthesis Course, which complements students’ professional skills and business knowledge.
- An excellent basis for being in the labor market.
A note on teachers
The teachers who teach the classes are all highly trained and professionally certified, according to Hamm, bringing real-world experience to the classroom. And, they all share a genuine interest in the success of their students.
“Dean Greg Carnes is the author of all tax preparation documents for Wiley CPA Course for 20 years. They are one of the main national publishers of accounting documents, so it needs to keep abreast of developments in tax laws.
He is also a frequent speaker at professional tax seminars for the American Institute of Chartered Accountants and trainings at large CPA companies across the country.
It’s exciting to have him as a teacher in our program because of his credentials, and he’s a great role model for our students.
Who is the UNA Master of Accountancy program for?
- Traditional students who have completed their four-year undergraduate accounting degree and wish to continue their education.
- Career changers who see the demand for accounting professionals and want to make the switch.
- CPA hopes who have an accounting degree and some work experience and are ready to complete the training requirements for CPA certification.
Nuts and bolts
- Cost: approximately $ 15,000.
- Fresh start scholarship: The first course is free. Learn more about the program.
- 30 hours of lessons: typically takes two years for working professionals who already have an accounting degree.
- Preconditions: requirements vary depending on the candidate’s previous education. UNA offers affordable, self-paced online prep courses, as well as traditional undergraduate accounting courses.
What the MACc program looks like
“It was a very positive experience, with teachers who have very interesting ideas and very unique experiences that I can learn from. For example, Dr Carnes taught my first class, and he gave me a lot of insight into my field, as well as great advice on how to navigate everything.